Sunday, January 13, 2013

“Looking at randomly listed ideas commonly triggers creative new insights”


The technique of brainstorming is a good example of encouraging insight (…one of the Gestalten concepts that was particularly influential in shaping founder of modern social psychology Kurt Lewin’s work) (Morley Segal, Points of Influence, 1997, p. 260).  “Looking at randomly listed ideas commonly triggers creative new insights”, explained author Morley Segal (1997, p. 261).  I find brainstorming to be very effective, often fun, and I like how the discoveries tap into “the unconscious for creative solutions, wisdom, and whimsy” (Segal, 1997, p. 92).  This type of right-brain activity will be something I will use on a routine basis with this blog.
Personally, I find that I am craving more and more right-brain activity in my personal and professional life and I find myself seeking out ways to infuse my day with creative endeavors.  However, the reason became clear to me when I read the following explanation in Points of Influence: A Guide to Using Personality Theory at Work: “Lewin noted that people try to maintain a dynamic state of equilibrium by moving toward the regions of their life space that will enable them to satisfy their needs…for Lewin, the ability to create alternative pathways around barriers in order to reach a goal was the defining characteristic of psychological growth(Segal, 1997, p. 264).  As a result of reading this, I aim to be more innovative about constructing my new pathways around obstructions in order to reach my goals.
I could brainstorm about brainstorming techniques for my next post--or I could just look at a list of topic ideas! I could post about: 

  • Nursery Design
  • DIY Projects
  • Organization
  • Party Planning
  • (Learning more about) Digital Photography
  • New Products I would recommend [Thank you, Christmas!]
  • Books I'm Reading
  • (Learning more about) Videography
  • Wellbeing Plans for 2013
  • Food and Beverages (that I found Pinteresting)
Regardless of the topic, I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment